The history of Kharkiv National University of Economics closely connected with the special institutions of business education, which were founded in Kharkiv during the rapid economic rise of late XIX – early XX century. At that time the city was the center of a huge territory, which had a semi-official name of the South of Russia. In the economic sense, it was a new industrial region, where the sector of mining and heavy industry were dynamically developing.
In 1888, at the initiative of Kharkiv businessman merchant Commerce Adviser M. Orlov the Kharkiv Commercial College was founded, it was opened in 1893, and in 1896 it was given the name of Emperor Alexander III.
The graduate photo of Kharkiv Commercial College by Emperor Alexander III
In 1912 prof. M. Pavliienko launched a new public initiative – the Evening Higher Commercial Courses were opened at school. The founders of the Courses at the head of the Commerce-Advisor І.Vetlichenko have made much efforts to establish the Higher School of Economics. The teaching staff and curriculum of the Courses initially met the high standards. The professional training of specialists in the field of commerce, local economy, banking and financial affairs was carried out at the courses, and for the first time in Russia – commercial training of specialists for industrial enterprises was also carried out there. The first in Russia specialized scientific and research organization «Office of Economic Study of Russia» was created there by prof. P. Fomin. In 1916 the State Duma granted the status of Commercial Institute to the Courses. In 1918 – 1920 a future Nobel laureate in Economics Simon Kuznets studied in Kharkiv Commercial Institute.
Establishment of the building of Kharkiv Commercial Institute, the 28 of September, 1914
During the Rough Times
1920 is the beginning of the age of Soviet reorganization. In 1921 KhCI was renamed to the Institute of National Economy, and, finally, in the course of the reform of higher education in 1930, it was divided. On the basis of its faculties there were created sectoral institutes with departmental subordination. On October 30, 1930 Kharkiv Engineering and Economic Institute was formed on the basis of the largest at the time Industrial Department. Today this date is officially considered the foundation day of KhNUE. KhEEI trained engineers and economists for the heavy industry of Soviet Ukraine. The Institute was notable for being one of the leading educational, scientific and research centres of Ukraine in the field of industrial economics. The scientists of the Institute took part in research programs on deployment of production capacities of heavy industry of Ukraine, the introduction of cost-effective technologies, use of modern mathematical methods of planning of production and labour organization, creation of automated systems of production management (Industrial Control System).
KhINE Student ID
In 1956 – 1960-ies the scientific and research laboratory on the economy of industry headed by prof. O. Lieberman operated in KhEEI. Its scientists’ offers created by the results of the research have been assumed as a basis of the concept of the economic reform of 1965.
Since the end of the 1980s, the Institute expands the range of areas of training of students, starting the training of the specialists in International Economics, Finance and Banking, staff management etc. 1994 the Institute was granted the status of State University of Economics.
In 1990-ies – beginning of 2000-ies the University distinguished itself as the leader of economic education in Ukraine, which often determines the direction of its development.
On August 21, 2004, the University was granted the status of National.
Cover magazine «Time» with the material about economic reform in the USSR
Rector of KhNUE prof. V. Ponomarenko signing the Magna Charta of Universities